Week 1 – Discussion Forum 1
Exploring an Art Museum [WLOs: 2, 3] [CLOs: 1, 3]
Prior to beginning work on this discussion forum, read Chapter 1 and Chapter 2 of Introduction to Art: Design, Context, and Meaning and Normans How to Look at Art, and watch Looking at Paintings, The Skill of Describing, and Chapter 5 Summary: The Principles of Design. Once you have consulted these resources, explore the National Gallery Google Virtual Tour or the Louvre Museum.
As you explore, reflect on the items below, and share your answers within your discussion post. When analyzing artwork, consider the differences between analysis and summary, as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center resource, Summary vs. Analysis.
Complete the following:
- Often people envision a painting when they think of art, though there are many different forms and definitions of art. Based on your reading of Chapter 1: What is Art? and Chapter 2.4: Art Forms from your textbook, think about different forms of art you see in these museums, and how these works of art meet the various definitions of art.
- Share an example of one work of art that you found particularly interesting, and share your initial interpretation and reaction to it. Drawing from Chapter 1, which definition of art best fits your chosen work? Drawing from Chapter 2 (Section 2.4), what form is your art work? Strive to be as precise as possible, not just which dimension. For example, is it three dimensional? Is it a sculpture? If so, what kind: freestanding, relief, low relief? What processes and methods and materials were used? Draw from the article How to Look at Art as well as Looking at Paintings, The Skill of Describing, and Chapter 5 Summary: The Principles of Design videos to offer a description of the art work. Include the URL to the work of art in your post as well as the reference entry for the work of art.
Your initial post must be at least 200 words in length.
Week 1 – Discussion Forum 2
Art Interpretation: The Arnolfini Portrait [WLOs: 1, 2] [CLOs: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5]
Prior to beginning work on this discussion forum, read the Ashford Writing Centers Summary vs. Analysis.
Take at least 5 minutes to look at The Arnolfini Portrait, and then watch the video Van Eyck, Portrait of Giovanni Arnolfini and His Wife, 1434. After watching the video, respond to the following in your discussion post:
- What key components of the work of art were discussed in the interpretation?
- What were some details shared regarding the method, tools, subjects, and social implications of the work of art?
- What was one example of symbolism identified in the work of art?
Now that you have explored an example of an in-depth analysis of a work of art, how did this analysis differ from your own initial impression?
Your initial post must at least 200 words in length.
"Place your order now for a similar assignment and have exceptional work written by our team of experts, guaranteeing you A results."