Learn by Doing
In this activity you will learn to use StatCrunch to perform a two-sample t-test.
Some features of this activity may not work well on a cell phone or tablet. We highly recommend that you complete this activity on a computer.
Here are the directions and grading rubric for the Learn by Doing discussion board exercises.
A list of StatCrunch directions is provided at the bottom of this page.
Do undergraduates sleep less than graduate students?
A student conducted a study of sleep habits at a large state university. His hypothesis is that undergraduates will party more and sleep less than graduate students. He surveyed random samples of 75 undergraduate students and 50 graduate students. Subjects reported the hours they sleep in a typical night.
For this hypothesis test, he defined the population means as follows:
Hours: typical number of hours a student sleeps each night
Program: undergraduate or graduate
Program is the explanatory variable, and the data is categorical. Hours is the response variable, and the data is quantitative.
Download the sleep2 (Links to an external site.) datafile, and upload the file in StatCrunch.
- State the null and alternative hypotheses. Include a clear description of the populations and the variable.
- Explain why we can safely use the two-sample T-test in this case.
- Use StatCrunch to carry out the test. (directions)
Copy and paste the content of in the StatCrunch output window (text and the table) in your initial post.
- State a conclusion in the context of this problem.
List of StatCrunch Directions
Each link will open in a new window. To return to this discussion, either close the new tab or select the tab for this discussion.
- Create Your Stats-Class Folder in Canvas (You only need to do this once.)
- Purchase StatCrunch (You only need to do this once.)
- Open StatCrunch
- Download Excel Data File
- Upload Excel Data File to StatCrunch
- Download StatCrunch Output Window (no screenshots; please use these directions)
- Upload Files into Your Stat-Class Folder in Canvas
- Embed Pictures in a Discussion Post (no attachments; please use these directions)
- Copy & Paste a StatCrunch Table
- Conduct a Hypothesis Test for the Difference of Two Population Means
Content by the Open Learning Initiative (Links to an external site.) and licensed under CC BY (Links to an external site.).
"Place your order now for a similar assignment and have exceptional work written by our team of experts, guaranteeing you A results."