Discussion: How to Design Jobs to Enhance Satisfaction and Motivation: Job Characteristics Model
|“Quote Martin Luther King, Jr. on hope.” by
aafromaa is licensed under CC BY 2.0
In this Discussion, you should respond with substantial detail to this topic early in the first week of the module. This will be your “initial post.” For your initial post also bring in information from at least two background sources. You are also encouraged (but not required) to include a source or two from your own research to help inform your classmates. Cite the sources.
The initial post should be about 250 words.
Discussion posts will be assessed according to the following criteria found on the discussion rubric:
- Quality of initial posting (first post): Initial posting reveals a clear understanding of all aspects of the treated discussion question; uses factual and relevant information; and demonstrates full development of concepts.
- Quality of responses to classmates: Responds to the required number of students and to the professor, if appropriate. Demonstrates analysis of others’ posts; extends meaningful discussions by building on previous peer posts; and offers alternative perspectives.
- Reference to supporting readings/information literacy: Refers to and properly cites either course and/or outside sources in posts, as required.
- Critical thinking: Demonstrates mastery conceptualizing the problem; viewpoints and assumptions of experts are analyzed, synthesized, and evaluated; and conclusions are logically presented with appropriate rationale.
- Timeliness: Initial post occurs in a timely manner (1-3 days into module) allowing ample time for classmates to respond and engage. Posting early allows for more opportunities for leading the discussions, making substantial contributions, and engaging in meaningful and mutual discussions with others. It also is the best chance for the highest grade in the discussion.
Background for Discussion 1:
To prepare for this Discussion, review the background material, including the reading and video on the Job Characteristics Model. You may also find the following short synopsis helpful:
Louis, D. J. (2016). Notes on the Job Characteristics Model.
Herzberg’s Theory suggests that pay and benefits are not motivators, because they do not satisfy the worker. (Who doesn’t want more pay or vacation time?) However, they can cause dissatisfaction if not sufficient.
For Initial Post:
Respond to both of the following (a and b):
- Consider a job you have held that you did NOT find motivating. What job characteristics were missing? How do you think that job could have been redesigned to enhance one or more job characteristics and increase its motivating properties
Note: If someone posts a response to one of your posts, you should engage with that person as appropriateas if you were having a real-time conversation. For example, when someone has posted to your initial job characteristics post, go back and comment on whether or not the suggested changes would have made you feel more motivated. Why or why not?
- Critically compare and contrast the Job Characteristics Model with Herzberg’s Motivation-Hygiene theory. What factors leading to satisfaction (motivators) can be aligned with Job Characteristics or Critical Psychological States? Do you think any of Herzberg’s dissatisfiers (hygiene factors) align with Job Characteristics or Critical Psychological States? If not, what, if anything, does this tell you?
"Place your order now for a similar assignment and have exceptional work written by our team of experts, guaranteeing you A results."