Where Weve Been
In this first stretch of our trek through English 124, we have learned about Joseph Campbells concept of the Heros Journey, and we have read and discussed various stories about individuals who find themselves on the heros path. Weve also begun considering how our own lives might reflect the Heros Journey. Its now time to take our thoughts about these topics and put them into words to share with others.
Choose one of the assigned readings for class (Beowulf, Zlateh the Goat, or Scheherazade), and write an academic essay in which you explain Joseph Campbells concept of the Heros Journey and provide at least three strong examples (including quoted evidence from the chosen text) about how that story reflects (or deviates from) established stages of the Heros Journey. Conclude with a reflection of the story, the Heros Journey, and what we, your readers, can gain or learn from your analysis. Aside from the story and sources about the Heros Journey, students are not expected to do additional research for this assignment.
- Write a 4- to 6-page academic essay in MLA format.
- Begin with an introductory paragraph that hooks your reader’s attention, provides background information about the Heros Journey and your chosen story, and leads seamlessly into a clearly stated thesis.
- Develop body paragraphs which incorporate quoted and detailed evidence from our course materials (use your chosen story and information provided in Unit 1 about the Heros Journey) while using proper MLA format to cite the texts. Quoted evidence should be incorporated thoughtfully and thoroughly into the essay by establishing context, introducing the quoted passages, and explaining how the passages support the main ideas of the body paragraphs and the essay as a whole.
- Conclude your essay with a reflection of the story, the Heros Journey, and what we, your readers, can gain or learn from your analysis.
- Include a Works Cited page
Well write this essay to practice the skills of academic writing, stating a thesis and supporting it with specific and quoted evidence from our course materials while using MLA format to cite sources.
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this assignment, students will be able to:
- Utilize the writing process, including pre-writing, writing, revision and proofreading to produce complex, high-quality work.
- Synthesize the ideas of two or more writers to create a broader understanding of an issue or topic.
- Utilize critical reading strategies so as to successfully pull meaning from complex texts and texts structured in non-academic formats.
Please select the “more” icon in the upper right hand corner of this page to show the grading rubric for this assignment. If accessing this course by using the Canvas Student App, you will not see the icon. Instead, please use the menu to locate the rubric.
"Place your order now for a similar assignment and have exceptional work written by our team of experts, guaranteeing you A results."