Smartphones. We can’t live without them. Many college students are taking online courses and the debate of whether or not to text in the classroom is not an issue in that environment. However, most students that take online classes are taking “live” classes at the same time. What does your professor do about smartphones in the “live” classroom? Is there a policy for their use?
The purpose of this assignment is to think about how texting during class lecture might be affecting our listening comprehension and ultimately our grade in that class. Review the 6 steps of the complete listening process as described in the HURIER model (pages 145 to 147 in our text) include hearing, understanding, remembering, interpreting, evaluating and responding.
Click on the link FSW database article (Links to an external site.). You will need to sign in with your student ID (user name) and the last 4 digits of your Social Security number (password) to access the article.
Read the article titled “OMG! Texting in Class = U Fail 🙁 Empirical Evidence That Text Messaging During Class Disrupts Comprehension” written by Amanda C. Gingerich and Tara T. Lineweaver, published in 2014.
Write a 500-600 word reaction essay in APA paragraph format that answers the following questions:
- What percentage of time do you believe you spend texting in a given class period?
- Which part or parts of the listening process do you think texting during lecture affects the most?
- What do the authors of the article say about “catching up” with what you lost during texting?
- What do the authors recommend that instructors do when the semester begins in terms of talking to the students about texting in class?
- Did this article change your perspective about texting and listening?
To Complete the Assignment:
- For examples of APA style papers and Reference pages, click on the Library link inside the Student Resources icon to the left of this page.
- When you get to the Library Home Page, click the Citation Guides link on the left side of that page.
- Look for APA format.
- You will also have to add a citation from one scholarly article to your essay.
- Follow the rubric at the bottom of the page for additional guidelines.
- Add an APA References list that includes the article above and one outside article.
- Submit two files: One for the essay and one for the References list.
"Place your order now for a similar assignment and have exceptional work written by our team of experts, guaranteeing you A results."